Frequently Asked Questions
- What experience do you have with criminal cases?
Since 1997, I have served as a Criminal Defense Attorney in Rhode Island. Prior to that, I served as Special Assistant Attorney General prosecuting hundreds of criminal cases. I understand prosecution and defense tactics as a lawyer who has served both sides for more than 30 years.
- How might I reach out to your office?
The best way is by calling (401) 861-1155
- What is the best time to call you?
Clients and potential clients can reach me 24 hours per day, seven days a week. Regardless of the time of day or year, a member of our team is standing by to assist you with your issue.
- Where are the offices located?
We have five offices serving Rhode Island residents; located in Providence, Newport, Warwick, Narragansett and North Smithfield.
- What areas of criminal defense do you specialize?
S. Joshua Macktaz specializes in several criminal defense areas, including DUI, DWI, BUI, traffic violations, expungements and more
- Are there any testimonials or case results I can refer to in order to see your track record?
Yes. You can review some of my case results here. In addition, you can see what some of my clients had to say about the firm and the way we handled their cases here.
- How can I keep up with your law firm or learn more about the laws regarding my case?
You can follow the firm on Facebook while reading more reviews. Read our tweets on Twitter, or read up on our law blog.
- What is the difference between DUI and DWI in Rhode Island?
- Can I get a DUI/DWI for operating something other than a car?
- What is the legal limit?
- What is implied consent?
- What are the consequences of a DUI or DWI?
- What does a DWI lawyer do?
In general, a DUI/DWI lawyer fights to expunge the charges against a defendant or otherwise limit and reduce the punishment one faces. A member of the S. Joshua Macktaz, Esq. legal team has in-depth understanding of RI DUI laws and defense strategies.
- What is expungement?
Expungement is the process of erasing an arrest or conviction from a person’s criminal record publicly. more about Rhode Island expungements
- Is a pardon the same thing as expungement?
- Can you expunge a felony in Rhode Island?
- Do expunged records show up on background checks?
- How long do you have to wait to get your record expunged?
- What does the expungement process look like?
Criminal Defense Questions
- What does a criminal defense lawyer do?
A criminal defense attorney represents a company or person facing criminal charges of all varieties. A defense attorney can speak on his or her client’s behalf, investigate the details of a case and collect evidence or statements, devise defense strategies, negotiate for minimal punishment, and apprise the client of all available options. If you are unsure of what to look for in a criminal defense lawyer, consider his or her experience with your case type, the results of the cases, and overall reputation.
- If I am under arrest, do I have to speak to the police?
- Do I need a lawyer for a misdemeanor arraignment?
- Why should I hire a criminal defense lawyer?
In some instances, the state will assign defendants free criminal lawyers. While these individuals serve their appointed clients, they represent several clients facing many different criminal infractions at once. Hiring an attorney with experience handling your specific type of case may be your best option in getting focused representation and fair treatment.
- What sort of cases does a criminal defense lawyer take?
Your defense attorney can handle a variety of criminal cases. The legal team at the Law Firm of S. Joshua Macktaz, Esq. handles a plethora of cases, including assault and battery, drug and narcotics offenses, Driving Under the Influence or Driving While Intoxicated, driving with a suspended driver license, white collar crimes, and shoplifting.